Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chilling tulip bulbs in refrigerator at 40 degrees, is this ok?

Posted by ocbrian2 z9/sunset 22/orange (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 4, 12 at 21:48

Hello,
For the last couple of years I have been buying tulip bulbs and chilling them in my garage refrigerator for 8-10 weeks and then planting them in the ground in January for them to bloom. Well I just noticed that my refrigerator isn't as cold as it normally is, the temperature was at 40 degrees when I tested it. My bulbs are suppose to come out for planting in two weeks and I'm afraid that they didn't get enough chill. I saw in another posting someone saying that the temperature needs to be at 35 degrees. Do you think my bulbs will still bloom? I have like 500 tulip bulbs to plant and I hope it wasn't all for nothing. Thanks in advance!

Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chilling tulip bulbs in refrigerator at 40 degrees, is this o

Thats cold enough. I always plant mine in the first week of December so they bloom before my roses. I start chilling the first week of September. Al

o

Thanks for the reassurance Al. I always wait till Van Engelen have their huge sale to buy bulbs, which they were late this year due to the halloween snowfall back east. I like to have mine bloom around March, when it is actually spring since I wish we had more of different seasons in California. Thanks!

Brian

o

40 is perfectly fine -- really anything between 32 and 45 works.

It's a myth that inadequate chilling prevents bulbs from blooming -- it doesn't, because the flower is already fully formed down in the heart of the bulb by the time its dug from the field in Holland. What chilling affects is stem length and size -- a bulb that isn't properly chilled will have extremely short stems and possibly smaller flowers.

o

^That idea is interesting, because once I forced tulips in the kitchen in several pots and the flowers were dwarfed; they were supposed to be about 16 inches tall and were coming out about 6 inches tall, not only short but also with miniature penny-sized flowers. I put one of the pots outside during a chilly March week and within days in the cold, the flowers, stems and leaves enlarged to a typical tulip size. The ones that stayed in the house remained miniature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here