Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tugbrethil

Landscape Gladiolus?

tugbrethil
14 years ago

Just what is the difference between "Landscape Gladiolus" and other types of Gladiolus? Are there differences in planting and culture? Any info welcome!

Kevin : )

Comments (12)

• jewelbeetle
    14 years ago

I think it means they are shorter but I am not an expert on them, never grew them. Maybe I should now I have more sun. They are not for my zone and I dont feel like digging those up, or letting them die cause they are very pretty.

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The box did say they were on the short side. It also was supposed to stay in the ground, and not be dug up every year. I was unclear in my mind if that meant that they were more frost hardy than most, or if they were better than most at surviving heat and moisture in the summer.

Anyone else got ideas?

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

It's not a term I know. I'm wondering if they're what I would call G. 'Nanus' or painted ladies. They usually arrive after the main daffodils for me and sometimes overlap with G. tristis.

In zone 9 they are safe to leave in the ground but may need refreshing after three years. The bulbs aren't large. They seldom produce spawn.

Experiment with the soil. I've found they do well with not much feeding but mostly they prefer a free-draining soil rather than anything that gets water-logged. About six hours of sun.

They've usually died down by the time full summer comes in.

Also, just as with Narcissus, you can often get bulk quantities of unnamed varieties for general planting. They aren't as lush or exotic as the show varieties but they do usefully fill patches in the back of the borders or the cutting bed for filling vases. They are likely to need stem support.

Again, in zone 9, you don't need to lift them every year. They'll come back fairly reliably. However, if you know there are local cases of Gladiolus diseases it is much safer to lift them just as soon as the leaves begin to yellow and dry in the usual way. Keeps everyone happy.

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope, that's not them. The pictures look very much like standard Glad hybrids. Michigan Bulb Company and Van Bloem offer them as "Landscape Gladiolus", and no more information than I outlined above. I was hoping for more info than that. Is anyone familiar with the origin of the term, or any of the distinguishing characteristics of the varieties so labeled?

Thank you!!

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

I looked at your sources and noticed there were only about three varieties labelled this way. One impression that came to me was that these particular varieties might produce more than one stem of flowers. Maybe from a clump of bulbs.

I messaged them but got no reply. They probably 'don't talk with foreigners'! ;-))

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They won't talk to me, either, so I must be a foreigner, too. After all, isn't Arizona a state in Mexico?! (lol)

Kevin : ])

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Any Gladiolus gurus out there, please?

Thank you!

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Landscape Glads only grow 24-36"

While 'normal' glads bloom 48-60"

Everything else is the same (sun, soil, growth habit ect). Down there in zone 9 you would be safe leaving them in the ground year round. Though, I always think they do better when lifted.

I hope that helps

Keriann~

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Keriann!
    I have found that my regular glads do much better if I lift them and let them dry for at least a month through the end of the monsoon season. I bought some of the "Landscape" varieties on the strength of the nurseryman's assertion that I wouldn't have to do that with them. Now I find out that there is little or no documentation--that I can find--of that, the nurseryman admits that he was going on what was written in his wholesale catalog 4 years ago: that they didn't need to be dug up every year, and no more info than that. I will try again to get hold of the Gladiolus guru at Van Bloem, and will post whatever he or she has to say. Meanwhile, I guess I'll just play the pioneer again, do my usual plant watching, and report--hopefully not to verbosely--the results.

Gladiolus: excellent genus, perplexing ignorance about a plant that has been in cultivation so long!

• flora2b
    14 years ago

I think, like other bulbs the reference 'landscape glads' just means they are bulbs that are not as mature and thus will be smaller and will not bloom as profusely. Like the difference between a Grade 1 plant and a seconds or grade 2 plant. This is a very common practice in bulbs and they usually sell the 2nds in mixes for a little cheaper.
    If you are able to care for them well, there is no reason that they will not get better every year.
    Good Luck

• Hbcvending_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I saw that the question was left open. I believe that the "landscape" glad is just another name for "Hardy Gladiolus", which are shorter and hardy in more zones than regular gladiolus. I have ready different opinions on how hardy they actually are - some say to zone 4 (Breck's), others say to zone 6, and I saw several that said zone 5. You can find more information if you search "Gladiolus Nanus". Calling them "Landscape" glads does make sense since being dwarf and hardy would be a good type for a landscaper to use.

• Hbcvending_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Sorry, I see now that someone did mention the "Nanus", but you didn't think that was it. However, after a little more research, I do think that's what you have. I'm not positive of course, it's just my opinion :)

Good luck and take care!

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz