Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posierosie_zone7a__

Bulb order just arrived

Ok, so when I ordered my bulbs on 12/26, I did not notice that the company was taking a break and would not process until 1/6. I just got my order today and it has been in the single digits every night lately. No way I can do anything about it at the moment. When I ordered the bulbs, the 10 day forecast was all above freezing temps, but whatever. ....

So, here are my options as I see them:

1. Pray for a few days of above freezing temps in a row and dig! In the meantime I can put the bulbs in the fridge.
2. Pot up the bulbs in the 20-30 gallon pots I have and bury under the large leaf pile in the woods (all the fall leaves were placed in the back - over a foot deep in many places and should be able to bury the pots fully). Take out in Spring and plant in correct location.
3. If we don't get a good thaw, and I opt for #1, pot up indoors after leaving in fridge and attempt to time forcing indoors with the appearance other daffodils outside. Plant when foliage starts to show.

Unfortunately, I may be the only one here without a garage. I know that would be ideal. I only have my fridge, a heated house and the great outdoors.

Your wisdom and input would be appreciated. I would also like an idea of the details of what to expect on a particular plan. For instance, if #1, what temps should I wait for? How far down should I attempt to dig....etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• bogturtle
    9 years ago

I would just store them very cold and frost free. My garage would be fine for me, as it is very cold. I suspect, actually, in the ground, some have already started to sprout. I have some that put foliage out in Fall and the leaves go through the Winter.
    Get them planted ASAP.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Bogturtle,

Thank you for your response. Would you then opt for choice #1? I do not have a garage so I can either keep the bulbs unpotted in the fridge or I can pot them up immediately so their roots can start growing and bury them in the leaf pile for protection.

I worry about getting a thaw soon enough to plant them properly so they can establish themselves by Spring. I am pretty certain I am worrying unnecessarily, but if anyone from around me wants to chime in about that, I would be grateful!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Around here option 1 would be out, but in your zone as long as you can get a shovel through the frozen crust you can plant. It's not ideal, but it should work.
    Here the ground will likely be frozen for the next two months and undigable so I would go with option 2. Pot bulbs up with enough soil to grow roots (2-3 inches) and then bury them under the leaves. They'll be fine and can be uncovered and planted out once the temperatures warm up again.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

You don't say what the bulbs are. If you can tell us what you have people can give more specific advice as to how to deal with them. It seems rather late for spring flowerers and rather early for summer bloomers.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Karo & Floral,

Sorry, these are daffodil bulbs. I just looked at the 10 day forecast and we **might** go into the 40's for about three days the week after next. I will see if I can plant them then (opt#1) if not, I am glad that you think option #2 I should work.

You are right this is late. We **were** having an extremely mild winter and I was dreaming of Spring and these were on sale..... Well, I took a chance not realizing they would not ship for a week and a half b.c. the company was closed for the holiday. Good for them to take a well earned vacay, it was just not obvious when I ordered.

It is actually nice to still be thinking of potting or digging now. Makes it not seem so cold. I might miss these bulbs when they are planted - it is probably why I ordered them in the first place.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was off for the day so it was now or never on getting those daffodil bulbs in the ground. There was a rock-like frozen layer in places - I was stubborn enough to dig through.

My plan was for alternating daffodils every other square foot along my fence. When I was done I still had tons left! I probably planted about 80 in front of the fence, but I had 186. So, 100 more to go...

I put the mixed trumpet under the bushes (left over from HD sale), the split trumpet in the front garden bed and the doubles are......everywhere. The front, the side, the back, the woods.

In the future I will go for more variety and less numbers. Remind me of this next November during the sales.

Now I am off to start my hosta order (I am in desperate need of giant ones - Krossa Regal, Sagae, Liberty!) I have also been ruminating about directly sowing cyclamen coum seeds outdoors and I think I am going to go for it. ::::grins::::

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

You sound like me. I planted daffodils everywhere last fall/winter and they are now poking through the ground. It will be really pretty everywhere.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Southerngardening, we are just doing our bit making the world more beautiful one bulb at a time!

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

That's right! Or more like 100's of bulbs at the time :-)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists