Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinths are alive?! Emergency planting questions

Posted by DandyLioness CA 9, SZ14 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 23:52

So apparently I left some hyacinth bulbs (which I thought were dead) in an empty pot and completely forgot about them. The pot filled with water during the past couple months of rain and the hyacinths are sprouting!!!

Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere in-ground that I can put them at the moment, and I'm having trouble finding information about planting them in a container.

-How much container mix do they need beneath them? (how far from bottom of the container)

-How deep do they need to be from the top of the mix?

-Since they already began to sprout do I take care not to cover the new growth? Or do I bury the bulb regardless of the new growth to ensure that the flower will have enough support not to keel over?

-How far apart from one another do bulbs need to be?

Any other suggestions would be helpful as well, as I am a novice at caring for bulbs!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinths are alive?! Emergency planting questions

Take the hyacinth bulbs out of the pot, fill the pot 1/3 to 1/2 full with potting soil, depending on the size - the pot sould be at least 10 inches deep - so use another pot if it's not tall enough. The bulbs can be approx. 5 inches apart for a pot. Put the hyacinth in , bury the rest of it with soil, having the tips of the growth just below soil level. If it's a clay pot it will crack outside in the freezing weather, so put in garage or shed. Plastic or similar can stay outside. You can water the pots once now, to settle the soil, and add more on top if you need it to just cover the tips. Then leave them be. They should not grow more , now that it's cold.

o
RE: Hyacinths are alive?! Emergency planting questions

A hyacinth bulb will grow in a 4" azaela(shallow) pot. You do not need a 10" deep pot. Hyacinths can be planted right next to each other, do not have to be 5" apart, and do not have to be completely covered with soil. Mostly it is one bulb per 4" pot, 3 bulbs per 6" pot, 5 bulbs for an 8" pot and 7 or 8 to a ten inch pot. However, they need 13-15 weeks of tempertures at 36-48 degrees to root and not spit. (detachment of the flower stem.) Chances are that in your zone it did not receive this requirement and will only produce leaves this year.

This post was edited by PAFlowers on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 20:18

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here