Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time for Costco bulbs again

Posted by a.shau 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 4:16

Hey all - I innocently walked into Costco today (in SF, CA) just to get some soap and toothpaste and walked right into their spring gardening aisle. They had tons of bags of bulbs sitting there with beautiful pictures of flowers the bulbs are purported to grow into.

Anyone have any luck with Costco bulbs? looks like from 2009-2012 there were lots of posts about them being duds...wondering if anyone had any luck with them last year? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time for Costco bulbs again

I buy some every year. Just don't expect too much the first year. Most are such a good value I don't mind waiting for year 2 and 3. Al

o

The only mismarked I've had were daylilies - 2 were as advertized, other 2 a brilliant orange instead of purple (bag of 4). For daylilies to bloom the first year! from a bag! Excelnt.

Lilies, daffs, muscari, clematis, dahlias, etc. have all been true.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 1:16

Sizes are sometimes small.

o

• Posted by GDJCB zone 5 centralWA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 22:32

I have purchased a half dozen bags a year from Costco the last five years, everything has grown well, however, none of the daffodils have been true to name. Great value in my opinion, just remember you may not get what the picture shows.

Gale

o

I bought my usual bag of peony. Was able to find a bag with varieties not in my garden. They were better divisions than usual. I always pot them up the first year, transplanting into the garden after spring growth starts next spring. Here where we have lots of deer pressure, gophers also, it is nice to grow something they leave alone. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here