Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tulip bulbs problem

Posted by nayway (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 7:07

Hello everybody!
I'm new to this, and gardening in general, and need suggestions as to what I should do with my tulip bulbs. I bought them in October, meaning to put them in the fridge etc, but totally forgot. They sat in a dark drawer in a cabinet in my appartment. I got them out today, and they've developed little 'tails'- yellow pointy bits, 1/2 inch-1 inch long. Can I still put them in the fridge and do the whole forcing thing, or should I plant them straight away? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tulip bulbs problem

All you can do now is plant them or throw them away. Your post gives no clue to your zone so we can't guess if you will enough chilling temperatures left for your tulips. They will not be any good if saved for next year without planting. Al

o
RE: tulip bulbs problem

Ok I have an idea for you. it would really help if I knew what zone you were in. Try planting them is some dirt in a cool spot. thats dark, if you plant them and put them is a sunny spot thats warm they will grow too quickly and not produce any roots, what you want is for them to produce at least some roots, then they should be fine. Try putting them in pots and put them in the fridge Away from fruits, you can also put them in a garage thats dark. With any luck they will develop enough roots to grow and even bloom!, calistoga is right, not planting them will likely result in the death of the tulips. I hope this help give you some ideas, if you need more information on this idea just ask!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here