Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

When to plant oriental lilies in Ohio?

kentstar
14 years ago

What is the best time to plant oriental lilies in NE Ohio? Is it fall time? Or spring?

I see places like White Flower Farm, and others advertising their lily bulbs now. I thought they were supposed to be planted here in the north in fall?

Comments (5)

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I prefer to plant in fall, but those I plant in spring usually bloom. Sometimes it is rather a weak bloom, I get much better blooms from fall planted bulbs. Of course, I'm a bit farther south.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Lilies are summer flowering bulbs and any summer flowering bulb can be planted in spring. But it does depend on who you are purchasing them from, when they were harvested and how they've been stored. Unlike most other summer flowering bulbs, lilies (most) require a chill period for vernalization. Better bulb dealers will either have harvested them in fall and stored them correctly under proper temperature conditions or harvested them in late winter.

I plant virtually all my lilies in spring as that is when my local suppliers have the largest selection. And I know how they harvest and store their bulbs :-) The only issues I have ever had with spring planted lilies are those that tempted me from big box stores or Costco.......they are just not the same quality as those I obtain from specialty lily growers. IMO, you get what you pay for.

• goren
    14 years ago

Oriental lilies (stargazers) are planted in the spring--when they become available in the nurseries.
    They are usually given soil that has warmed up some so that speaks for May into June and since the lilies require the soil to be acidic, the early time can be spent to make this happen. A 50% mix of peat moss into the planting hole will do nicely.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was wondering because I bought a dozen lily bulbs last spring from Brent and Beckies bulbs (6 Salmon Stars and 6 Yelloweens). I planted as per their instructions as soon as they arrived in spring. Not one came up!
    The only thing I could think of was either not planted at correct time for my zone, or planted too deep. They said to plant the bulbs 3x the height of the bulb and that's exactly what I did. I got nada, zippo bulbs sprouting. And, I know B&B's is a great place to get bulbs from. I just don't know what else to think. I had properly prepared the bed some time before hand and even made the bed slightly raised (maybe about 3 to 5 inches above the ground level). Don't figure...

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

I have planted them both in the fall and in the spring. I try to plant in the fall. But it depends more on how good my resistance is, which is not very good at all. I know see a much better selection in the spring at the hardware store where I succumb (I mean, shop) most frequently.

My local lily society is selling them at both times, even though they SAY fall is better. Your lilies might not be dead. I have had the pleasant surprise of having a spring-planted lily show up after a year of non-appearance. CanÂt say it was vigorous and healthy looking, though. To have NONE show up means they are most likely rotted: I would be trying to get a refund or replacement.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor