Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First signs of spring.

Posted by homemommy 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 9:24

Well, I planted about 400 bulbs last fall in my new front garden (moved to the house last september)

Anyway, funny how I think of the garden as all being West Facing, but obviously the sun is not that narrow minded. On the far south side, the snow is long gone, and little green and red nubs are appearing everywhere! I had to go out and peel off the burlap I laid down with peat to try and thwart the squirrels last fall and protect the roses. I was worried if they came up any more, removing the burlap would rip off the new shoots! Not what anyone would want.

But... as you move north along the garden (still west facing), the ground gets progressively frosty, until it is frozen solid and under 2 feet of snow!

I have a feeling I am going to have domino blooms in the spring, they are going to start blooming on one side, and work their way north in a chain reaction!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First signs of spring.

We have the same effect here in Wis I'm in Zone 4, but on the south side of our house where the sun shines against the white siding, I would not be surprised if it was a mini zone 5 or 6! snow is always gone there first daffodils plants on south sides always bloom about 1 week or more earlier then daffodils elsewhere. actually There already daffodils sprouting at my aunts house along the south side. mine have not came up yet, but not there all under 6 inches of snow enjoy your spring garden!

o
RE: First signs of spring.

Homemommy,
I'd love to know what kind of bulbs you are growing! 400... Oh I envy you, I have about 50. I adore flowers from bulbs, look forward to seeing them every Spring!
My Daffs are blooming right now, they are so cheery. : )

Cindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here