Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant Wood Hyacinths ??

Posted by brit5467 7b VA East Coast (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 24, 10 at 9:59

I found some Wood Hyacinths (Florece tercero) bulbs I'd intended to plant this fall. The pkg. says for my area to plant Sept - Nov. They are still in fine shape. Is it too late to plant them now? If so, should I try spring or just hold them until next fall?

tks,
bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant Wood Hyacinths ??

BTW, do they need freezing soil to bloom in spring? I'm not sure how much more freezing weather we're going to have.

I'm not sure but I 'think' that wood hyacinths require a cooling period in order to bloom, not necessarily freezing soil though.

Where have these been stored? What temp? Unheated garage I hope. If they have had 12 weeks of cool storage then they should just be planted whenever the soil can be worked in your area. If they have not been chilled, you might place them somewhere now to start the chilling process until you can plant them. If you don't chill them long enough there might not be any bloom this spring, but should be fine next spring.

chemocurl...aka Sue

o

Well....uhhh....yes and no to your storage question. Had them outside on the porch for a long time but after a bad storm, everything got wet so I brought them in to dry, stuck them in with my seed basket and THAT'S why they got forgotten. So they've been in the nice, warm house (not good) for over a month.

I'll immediately put them out in the shed and a post-em note on my forehead until I get them in the ground.

TKS !!
bonnie aka brit5467

o

Plant them, they should do fine! But you will probably not get any blooms.

Either into the soil if it's workable or pot them up now so they can root first. You can then plant them outside when spring arrives. Wood hyacinths are pretty hard to kill, but the bulbs will likely split up into smaller offsets because of the stress of late planting. They should bulk up again over the next growing season and bloom in two years as a nice little clump.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here