Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Freesia Repotting?

Posted by seishonagon 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 10:02

I screwed this one up, lemme just say that right off the bat. Mea culpa! I work in a greenhouse, too, so I'm extra at fault. :P

I ordered some double white freesia bulbs last fall, to force indoors. I planted them in tiny pots, because that was all I had to hand. (Maybe an inch of soil over the bulb? At most.) Then I stuck them in a window with a bunch of other, bigger plants, where they are currently languishing in the dark. Then, to add injury to insult, I also didn't water or fertilize them properly.

They are WAY lanky, and pathetic, and floppy. There are a couple TEENY flower buds on long, long stalks, and the leaves are a decent green, but that's the only good news.

How do I save my babies? (And atone for my negligence?) Can I re-pot them? If I re-pot, can I pot them deeper? I just want them to survive the winter, and I promise I'll treat them better... if they just stay with me. Honest, baby, I can change. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Freesia Repotting?

You are not likely to lose them. Keep watering and support the floppy stems. They will bloom, and keep feeding until the foliage yellows, and you can save the bulbs for next year. These are tough plants. Here they naturalize and multiply every year. Al

o

More sun would be appreciated.
You can pot them on - a five inch pot and the sort of potting mix that is free-draining yet doesn't dry out. Need to have the bulb about an inch under. Not deep.

Place them somewhere the temperature doesn't get beyond 55F/13C.

They are winter-rain growers by nature. You can feed weekly with dilute liquid fertiliser (tomato would probably do) and keep it going until the leaves are starting to get that 'I've finished' look. Be moderate about watering, though - and allow for excellent drainage. Pot feet or stand on pebbles in the water saucer.

Definitely provide stem support - either individual or one of those hoop thingies that slide onto a pot from the bottom. And make sure the air can circulate - to prevent moulds and other nasties.

When the weather warms up - pop them outside to finish off. Avoid frosts, though. The doubles can be tender.

Repot in midsummer. You may want to separate the spawn from the larger bulbs for growing on, provided none of them showed any signs of virus in this growing year.

PS - they might not be scented; simply pretty.

o

Thanks for the advice! I'll make a few wire supports, and up-pot them into something less constricting.

I found this beauty hiding behind the bay tree foliage... looks like they forgive me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here