Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old house,old hyacinth patch leaves but no blooms

Posted by dottie_in_charlotte z7-8 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 10:28

This is the second spring in this older house. Amid a thick deep hedge of forsythia emerge a healthy planting of hyacinth.
It appears they have been there for many years because of the spread of bulbs but none of them will develop flowers.

Do they need some sort of fertilizing over the summer/fall to feed the bulbs? Is it possible the natural ground cover of falling leaves provide just enough food to make good leaves but not sufficient to make a bloom?

It's such a healthy growth of leaves it's a shame not to have flowers and I don't really want to move them to another site in the yard. I've cut back the forsythia to better
expose the patch.

What do you bulb experts recommend I do to rejuvenate this patch of hyacinths?
I'm normally in the Carolina forum. I'll check back for answers. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old house,old hyacinth patch leaves but no blooms

i would divide them. Sounds like they are not getting enough nutrients. A feeding of bone meal will help too.

Good luck!

o

While they still have leaves, I'd try a fertiliser that's fairly high in potash.

Wood ash could be useful, but not if your soil is naturally alkaline.

And a topdressing of good old compost wouldn't hurt at all, so long as the ground is damp when you apply it.

o

It appears they have been there for many years because of the spread of bulbs but none of them will develop flowers.
If they have been there for many years, they undoubtedly are quite crowded, and need dug and divided. You can either dig/divide them now while they are in the green, or else wait until the foliage has died back and yellowed.
Either way, it will likely take them a couple of years to recover and grow enough to be blooming size.

Sue

o

Is the hyacinth id certain if they have never flowered? Could they be Spanish bluebells? The midst of a hedge doesn't seem a very likely spot for someone to have planted hyacinths.

o

thankyou all for your advice. these bulbs probably fronted the back portion of this hedge since there's a border edging in front of them.
But forsythia arches and the stems readily root so I think that's why the hyacinth appear to be amidst the hedge.

I think while they have plenty of blooming time sun and very healthy looking leaf growth and leaf covering from overhead trees, they probably are a bit too low in the ground so I will lift them this fall, bring them forward to a
better area and set higher in the ground.

I presume if the leaves are full height and no evidence of a flower stalk coming then nothing I do now will bring forth a bloom this year. Next fall project. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here