Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulip care and potting

Posted by casablanca99 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 11:39

Hi all,

I got a pot of tulips yesterday as a gift from my friend. These are my first ever tulips and I am very naive about tulips and their care.

I want to know if I can pot these in my backyard and what care needs to be taken? Is this a good time to plant them outside...I mean with all the snow and cold temperatures outside? I live in columbus, OH and I do not know which zone I fall into.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Cassy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulip care and potting

It is probably not a good idea to plant them outside, it is kinda early for tulips to be growing outside, but you can grow then nicely indoors and they will grow and bloom, then after it warms up outside they can be planted outside, although it may take a few years for the bulbs to get the strength they need to flower, because potted tulips this time of year are normally forced to grow. How big are these tulips?, could you send a photo?

o

hi cassy,most potted tulips,or forced bulbs,we find this time of year in garden centers and markets are of the "single early"variety ,although i have seen some "mid" and "late"bloomers.i would wait until you can reasonably work the soil(mid may)to plant your bulbs,however your tulips will hardly resemble what they were the day you received them.let the foliage die back in a brightly lit window and keep watering ,being careful not to have them too wet(drainage holes are always absent)in spring cut off spent foliage and plant in a sunny spot.you can even divide them to cover a larger area.might take a few years to rejuvinate.fertilizer will expidiate this.good luck

o

I'm not sure I'd bother. Enjoy them now while in bloom, then toss. Tulips flowering now have been forced and while that doesn't mean they can't survive long term, it will take time to regain sufficient bulb energy to produce new flowers. And most hybrid tulips - the ones most commonly found potted up and in bloom at this time of year - are not very perennial in the garden anyway. They don't come back reliably or if they do, produce only sporadic bloom and many gardeners treat them as annuals and replant fresh each year.

Even in my area, which is home to the largest commercial tulip bulb fields outside of Holland, it's nearly impossible to get potted tulips to thrive and rebloom in the garden.

o

I have to agree with gardengal. Because they were a gift from a friend we would like to keep them as a keepsake. One of the difficult lessons for gardeners, is when to discard a plant. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here