Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artwmn

Recycling tete a tete narcissus bulbs

artwmn
15 years ago

Can I recycle them for next year? and if so, what are the steps? I'm a neophyte to bulbs. So pardon my ignorance.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• hostalover360
    15 years ago

Spring flowers that you get in pots this time of year a "forced to grow. Make sure to put it in a sunny spot and make sure the leaves have died off and turn yellow and dried up because thats how it build up energy for next year! then after the leaves have dried up you can store them in a dry Dark area until fall. it is probably not a good idea to try and "force" them again, so I would recommend that you plant them in the ground in fall I would say about September or so they may not bloom the first year but after they build up more strength they will. but who knows maybe they will bloom next year! hope this info helps.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I have planted hundreds of pots of "forced" bulbs in my garden over the years. I was a florist and brought home most that didn't sell. Tete a Tetes are particularly easy.

I would plant them outside as soon as possible. I would not store them indoors until fall. As soon as you see the ones in the ground in your area start to bloom it is safe to plant these out. If all of the foliage is ripened by then, plant them deeper than they are in the pot. Doesn't hurt to gently pull them apart and plant them with more space between them.

Now that I am no longer a florist,I go around to florists and garden centers and buy bulbs that are done blooming for cheap. One can never have too many bulbs...

• levadia
    15 years ago

Buyorsell, I have the same question regarding Paperwhites. Can they bloom next spring if I plant them outside in March?

• e36yellowm3
    15 years ago

Are they like regular daffs/narcissus that'll survive in cold climates? Should I go ahead and just put them in the garden when it warms up enough?

• frank27603
    15 years ago

I love clearance bulbs too buyorsell888! I have some Tete a Tetes that I picked up on clearance recently and I've been letting them collect sunshine outside. I pull them in when it gets really cold though since they were probably grown in a greenhouse and I don't want them to go into shock! They will eventually dry completely up and I will just plunk them in the ground in late April or May when it gets warm.

Come to think of it, I should go back to see if they have more! I'm not addicted...LOL!

-Frank

• ladychroe
    15 years ago

Paperwhites are a tender, tropical type of narcissus that won't live in zone 5a, Levadia. That's why they are so easy to force, because they don't need a chilling period. Those should be tossed after blooming. But most other daffodils will thrive in the ground and should be planted out after the foliage has yellowed.

• tomato345
    15 years ago

I planted mine in soil outside after the flower finished last spring(and left them out whole winter under 3-4 inch mulch) They all came back up in spring and the bulbs tried to push themselves out of ground.

• jackied164 z6 MA
    15 years ago

I have done this but got just leaves for a couple of years but they did finally produce a good flowering clump so I think it is worth it. I have 3 pots of them myself that I will put somewhere that I can enjoy in a couple of years.