Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Sad Case of the Forgotten Bulbs

Posted by mrobbins 6b - Brooklyn (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 26, 09 at 12:00

Cleaning up the small lobby of my building, I found a box delivered last November with some narcissus, fritillaria meleagris, and tulip bulbs inside -- firm, not sprouting. They've been stored in the dark at about 60F for the past three months. Should I plant them now outside?

What have you done with lost/neglected bulbs in the past?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Sad Case of the Forgotten Bulbs

I would go ahead and plant them. Leaving them in storage another year does not guarantee they will sprout next spring. You still have a few more cold days/weeks left. You might be able to get them in the ground. If they don't bloom this year...they should most definitely do so next year.

The reason why we plant them in the fall is so they have time to establish a root system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here