Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Achimenes annual in zone 10

Posted by khabbab 10b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 16, 11 at 12:12

Hi, I am thinking of buying Achimenes hybirda tubercles from chiltern UK but not sure if they are perennial in my zone 10. We have mild winters of not below 5C and very hot long summers of around 100F following a monsoon season. I intend to plant them in our fall when we plant most of our bulbs. Freesia, paperwhites, sparaxis come back in fall each year. Will same happen to achimenes as well or will it die in our summer?

thanks,
khabbab

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Achimenes annual in zone 10

According to "Garden Bulbs for the South", the following Achimenes are winter hardy in our lower south:
Achimenes Longiflora, "Galatea"; "Atropurpurea"; and "Ocampo".

o
RE: Will Achimenes annual in zone 10

Thanks donnabaskets. They sure are winter hardy in my zone 10 as winters are very mild. Point is whether the tubers will survive summer heat of 110F or not. Thanks for the information though it will help a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here