Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old time spider lilies/ red- small bulb

Posted by jolj 7b/8a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 12:13

How far apart should I plant them.
I do not want to dig them too often.
I friend was moving & gave me 50 or so.
I also have N.X mediolutens, it is a wild hybrid of N.poeticus var.recurvus & N. tazetta. Also called "Twin Sisters"
Does anyone know where I can get more twin sisters?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old time spider lilies/ red- small bulb

Old House Gardens sells the Narcissus you want, but you would have to order in autumn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House Gardens.

o
RE: Old time spider lilies/ red- small bulb +

According to some sites, you can plant Lycoris radiata about 4 inches apart if you are planting in groups.

These bulbs do not like being disturbed and might not flower for some time after transplanting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lycoris culture

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 15, 11 at 20:47

car123, thanks,the price of $3.00 each is high. I was giving them away, mostly to get them out there, I only know one person, besides my family who has them. I wanted to make a large bed of them & would gladly pay $1.00 a piece for them. I guess I will have to grow them myself. They are tough little bulbs. We have had them for over 50 years & the home place is taken over by bamboo. I had to cut the root mass out to reach the bulbs.
As for the Lycoris & link ,thank you. The ones I have had not been lifted in 10 years, until I got them last week.

o

Here is another source for Twin Sisters that is a bit more reasonable American Daffodil Farm 20 for $34.95 or 40 for $59.00.

There is also an ebay seller that has them for sale, but I would not advise buying them from anyone who would be selling and shipping them at this time of the year. They would either be bulbs left over that should have been planted last fall, or else they are being dug now which is certainly not a good time at all. They make no mention of 'fall shipping' or even shipping well after the bloom season for their auction. I'd even be suspicious if they would be the correct cultivar, since they seem to know very little about daffs and the correct time to sell, plant, and ship.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 16:53

Thanks everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here