Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crocus: What have you plated over yours?

Posted by scottym512 Z5 MO (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 14, 10 at 12:58

Last year we started a new flower bed, and on one end I planted a good size area with crocus. About a 12 foot semi-circle. They're just now poking up through the snow/permafrost that we have been inflicted with this year. I've kept this bed mostly purple, and yellow in nature. I've been looking for something to plant over the top of the crocus. Since these are at the front of the bed I need something fairly short. Right behind them is a Walker's Low catmint. The exposure is full sun after about noon. I don't see any evergreen type of ground cover working or the crocus won't be visible in the spring. Am I right in thinking it needs to be something that either goes dormant in winter, or that we cut down to the ground in the fall. I also don't want anything that has to be watered on a daily basis.

Thanks for your ideas.

Scotty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Shold have read planted over yours.

That's what I get for not proof reading my posts better.

o
RE: Crocus: What have you plated over yours?

You can plant just about any herbaceous perennials (that go dormant in the winter). Something like a low, creeping sedum will also work well. Just don't plant something that has a permanent evergreen rosette of leaves or you will never see your crocus and they will die out. No rudbeckia, or white daisy, as these both maintain substantial ground-covering leaves in winter.

o

I planted Hosta's and Lily-of-the-valleys with my crocus.

o
RE: RE Crocus: What have you plated over yours?

Oh, and I also planted some Forget-me-nots with the crocus, hosta, and LOV.

o

I have planted caladiums, fibrous begonias, impatiens and fringed bleeding hearts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here