Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjm512

Crocus: What have you plated over yours?

sjm512
14 years ago

Last year we started a new flower bed, and on one end I planted a good size area with crocus. About a 12 foot semi-circle. They're just now poking up through the snow/permafrost that we have been inflicted with this year. I've kept this bed mostly purple, and yellow in nature. I've been looking for something to plant over the top of the crocus. Since these are at the front of the bed I need something fairly short. Right behind them is a Walker's Low catmint. The exposure is full sun after about noon. I don't see any evergreen type of ground cover working or the crocus won't be visible in the spring. Am I right in thinking it needs to be something that either goes dormant in winter, or that we cut down to the ground in the fall. I also don't want anything that has to be watered on a daily basis.

Thanks for your ideas.

Scotty

Comments (5)

• sjm512
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's what I get for not proof reading my posts better.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

You can plant just about any herbaceous perennials (that go dormant in the winter). Something like a low, creeping sedum will also work well. Just don't plant something that has a permanent evergreen rosette of leaves or you will never see your crocus and they will die out. No rudbeckia, or white daisy, as these both maintain substantial ground-covering leaves in winter.

• kentstar
    14 years ago

I planted Hosta's and Lily-of-the-valleys with my crocus.

• kentstar
    14 years ago

Oh, and I also planted some Forget-me-nots with the crocus, hosta, and LOV.

• mindysuewho
    14 years ago

I have planted caladiums, fibrous begonias, impatiens and fringed bleeding hearts.