Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dutch Iris are sold in Autumn and Spring- are they different

Posted by levadia 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 13:04

Does it mean that we deal with two different bulbs: one that needs chilling, and the other that doesn't.
Or the nurseries prepare them for the spring planting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dutch Iris are sold in Autumn and Spring- are they different

Hi levadia,

Are you seeing them for sale at Lowe's or other big box stores maybe?

Please see this thread. I just added a reply to it.

Can I plant dutch Iris in the spring?

Here is a link that might be useful: Should be planted in the fall

o

Dutch iris, iris x hollandica, are somewhat unique. They are late spring flowering bulbs, often not producing a bloom until the beginning of summer. And they do not need a significant chill period - they are one of the bulb types that are often recommended for warm climates where soil temperatures do not achieve very cold conditions. And like lilies, they are often offered for sale in both the spring AND the fall.

Generally, late spring into early summer flowering bulbs - like Dutch iris, lilies, etc. - that you find available in stores at this time of year are not left-overs. They have been stored under careful conditions appropriate to the specific bulb type by the grower/supplier and are fresh on the store shelves. You shouldn't have any worries purchasing and planting now.

o

Thanks gg48. Knowing that, I may treat myself to a few new ones if I find them reasonably priced locally.

I guess maybe on line vendors just have a limited time that they have and prefer shipping them.

Sue

o

Yes, it is usually the larger wholesale suppliers that provide these to retail outlets, so smaller online speciality growers may not have the same resources to adequately store and market these bulbs for spring sales.

o

I started this thread because here the bulbs planted early in the autumn or left in the ground after blooming grow their foliage in October-November. The winter kills the foliage, and the bulb die in May.
I see that from now I must plant them only in April.
Still, I would like to know how many hours/months of chill they require? I want to have my own bulbs and store them till April of the next year.
Thank you for your answers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here