Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
muscari question

Posted by mchad21 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 09 at 13:18

I've planted hundreds of these bulbs, for the first time this year. No blooms yet, but I see two very different extremes in foliage.

Some are putting out huge foiliage...to the point where the leaves are a foot long, and just drooped over. And some have very little foliage, and the ends are yellow, where either the frost or something else damaged them.

I know the bud comes from the center of the plant, but was wondering if these two extremes are normal, and if either one indicates anything as far as the blooms go.

Thanks all!

Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: muscari question

that is likely just the older foliage. I don't that it means they wont bloom, only time will tell! hope this helped

o

Yeah, I guess we'll see. The foliage at least is a good sign that the bulbs are alive I guess.

Something could have eaten the foliage as well, but I'm not sure.

o

I have had the foilage come up in the fall, stay all winter (not looking the greatest) and then bloom in the spring. It must be certain varieties because all of mine don't do this.

o

common grape hyacinths Muscari armeniacum have long floppy leaves that grow in fall and persist during the winter. In my garden they tend to smother more desirable plants so I've been trying to thin them out for years despite the lovely blue color.

o

yeah, they are flopping all over my lily sprouts and daffs..I think they will be ok though.

o

Muscari do that, with the long leaves in the fall. Mine have been eaten by deer or something. But the plants will send up flowers & new leaves in spring. And the deer will have something else to eat by then.

o

Yep, they are sending up flowers now...all of them. Thanks all!

o

I planted my muscari bulbs about a month ago, and I was surprised to see the foliage already. I didn't think I would see that until spring.

I'm in Atlanta. Will the plants survive a cold winter here, and bloom in spring?

o

I hope they survive, mine are up and I will surely have a colder winter than you!
It's entirely normal.

o

They are very tough little buggers. About as tough as one could ask for. I wouldn't worry. I planted only six last year that weren't that big, had mold on them, and were sent to me as a "free gift" with a purchase. I washed the mold off and planted them. They grew big and strong. I decided to dig them up to store them once the foliage died. I found the 6 had turned into.... dun dun dun: 86. So they are very prolific too.
You should be fine.

o

I would actually really advise NOT cutting the foliage off. As long as they have spent the energy of growing foliage, let them harvest and store as much sunlight as possible before they go into dormancy again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here