Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calla lilies in zone. 6

Posted by miclino 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 13:41

I'm in MI which is now Listed as zone 6. According to Brent and befits calla lilies of the white variety are hardy to zone 6. Is this accurate and would they do well in part shade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calla lilies in zone. 6

Well, I guess it would be worth a trial. I think you would need to provide excellent drainage and a deep mulch.

I've wintered a number of out-of-zone bulbs and plants successfully here in SE Michigan (Oakland Co.) with that method, including crinums, alstromerias, agapanthus, pineapple lily, and ismene/peruvian daffodil.

o

I'm in MI which is now Listed as zone 6.
But if you look at the map on the white calla lily page at B and B, you will see that 'their' map zone 6 doesn't extend up that far north.

I'd say they would not survive and you could only enjoy them one season unless you dug them each fall and then stored them and replanted in the spring...what a pain in the you know what.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Note their map for the Calla

o

Ah but I am in the small purple area on the map in SE Mi. Will give it a try. Part shade enough though?

o

I forgot to comment on the part-shade issue -- yes, that's fine. They do well as long as they get about 4-5 hours of sun.

o

Ah but I am in the small purple area on the map in SE Mi.
oops...didn't see that there was 'some' 6 up above some of the zone 5.

According to B and B, part shade should be fine.

Sue

o

• Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 21:51

I've got 2 in the ground and they've taken 4 winters so far. bloomed every-year except last (they got ripped up when I painted the house, broken by a ladder and stepped on by my helpers...the kids)

I'm also in SE michigan....

~Chills

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here