Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs on tulip bulbs

Posted by gmom2-6boys mi z4-5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 10, 09 at 13:44

I bought 2 bags of tulip bulbs from Walmart and they have bugs. Didn't know until I got home. Is there a wash I can use on them before planting in the house? I put the bulbs in a plastic bag and sprayed but they are still there.

gmom2-6boys

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs on tulip bulbs

What shape are the bulbs in are the mushy? Make sure to take them out of the bag, and get the bugs off, if the bulbs are mushy I would return them. Bugs on the bulbs does not sound good.

o

The bulbs seem to be in good shape. Very solid. A little moisture when I took them out of the bag today. They have started to sprout. So I would like to pot them up as soon as possable, without bugs. They may be aphids. Something that developes into a black flee like bug.

I was thinking of a mild bleach water solution. Then let them dry before planting.

gmom2-6boys

o

With no other discription other than "bugs", I think your plan is a good one. Al

o

Since the bulbs have been sitting since fall the bugs are likely feeding on the jacket of the bulb or the mold that might be present... not so much the healthy bulb. The bleach bath and getting them in soil sounds good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here