Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moldy tulip bulbs

Posted by mmedici 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 06 at 14:18

I live in Zone 9, so I put my tulip bulbs in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 6-8 weeks in the winter before planting. For the last two years they've grown mold in the refrigerator.

Could I put them into the freezer instead?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moldy tulip bulbs

No don't freeze them. If they mold in the refrig they are too wet or do not have any air circulation. Was the plastic bag perforated to allow air flow? I refrigerate mine for three months in the bags they come in and have never had any mold. Al

o

medici, take the bulbs out wherever they are and inspect them for any softeness...any sign of mushiness or cuts.
If they appear still firm and without noticeable damage, they may have survived the punishment.
As noted by Al, never put bulbs into a plastic bag that is not left open for air circulation. Paper bags are noted for this purpose...and they are also LEFT OPEN.

The freezer is for food we want kept...but even then, some foods, once frozen, then thawed, become useless...dangerous to eat.
Same for bulbs. Once frozen, then thawed, they turn to mush....and are good for only adding to the compost pile.

Bulbs must be kept in the narrow range of the refrigerator...35 - 50 F.

The mold does suggest they went in there with dampness and the fungus had time to grow.

If they do appear still viable, you might want to dust with a fungicide before planting them.

o

Blue mold is okay, just wipe it off and plant. Black mold is bad -- the one that causes an unpleasant odor and destroys the bulb.

Nell

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here