Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tulip bulbs, timing for Easter , and flowering

Posted by Billbulbs New Jersey (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 14:25

I now have a couple thousand Darwin and Pastel type tulip bulbs in cold storeage,,my idea was to pot them and have then ready for bloom to sell for Easter....I have a small greenhouse that stays around 60 inside now ...i need to know when to plant them ,so they are flowering or ready to, the week before or of Easter to sell them ,,, also any other info. i could use to make this idea work ,,, thanx to anyone that can point me in the right direction :) BILL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tulip bulbs, timing for Easter , and flowering

I admire your ambition. Sure you have enough room in a small greenhouse for thousands of bulbs? I guess you'll find out soon enough as your plan falls into place. (Obviously you know that you have to get a move on it as Easter approaches.... there's always mother's day I guess)

Timing and temperature control will probably be your biggest issue, knowing the exact variety will help, darwin mixed or pastel mixed isn't really enough info, especially if you just grabbed a couple bags of bulbs at Costco or sam's.

Here's a link for Easter forcing of precooled bulbs. Good luck!

.....Garden web is not accepting the link I added, you'll have to cut and paste....
http://www.netherlandbulb.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.showpage/pageID/121/index.htm

o

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kato's bulb forcing link made clickable

o

Hi,I am in warmer zone than yours & weather has been warmer than usual even for my region ,I planted Darwin hybrid tulips Ollioules,Big chief on 19 th Nov last year in my yard & they are in full bloom now ,also the May flowering/single late tulips "renown" planted on 6th November are also starting to open in my garden , so I am guessing they take 4& half months in outside weather. since you are forcing them in warmer conditions, they'll probably bloom in 2-3 months after planting (my guess)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here