Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caladium Bulbs

Posted by karoni 6b/7a (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 15, 11 at 14:43

Hi all. I am a novice gardener. Last summer, I bought some caladiums at a nursery and planted them in my front yard. They did splendidly. I want to plant them again this year but would like to plant them as bulbs to save money. Can someone tell me when I should plant the bulbs? I saw a lot of posts on caladiums but didn't see this information. I appreciate any replies!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caladium Bulbs

Hi Karoni,

I've posted a link to a zone map for planting times. I remember seeing another Caladium zone planting map and they are both showing the same planting date for me.

They can be started beforehand, different ways, to get a bit of a jump before planting time arrives.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Zone Map.

o

Thanks, chemocurl. I was surprised to see the map says June 1st. I've been told the last frost around here is early May. I hate to wait until June to plant them. Would you mind sharing how I can start them early?

o

I was surprised to see the map says June 1st. I've been told the last frost around here is early May.
I know that might seem a bit late, but even though June 1st is well after your last frost date, the soil needs to warm. Caladiums do not like cool wet soil.

Here is an interesting readStarting Caladiums Indoors. Members claim that those planting directly in the soil soon caught up with those that had been stated early.

Here is another good read...How to Grow Caladium Plants

My one growing experience with Caladiums was a bad one. I planted them too early, and then did not keep them watered properly later in the season, after the soil had dried out from the spring rains.

Sue

o

Thanks, Sue. I'll read those articles. I appreciate your help.

o

You're welcome...glad to help.

Maybe you can come back later this year and post some pics of your colorful caladiums. We'd like that.

o

Hi all
I often plant them at the beginning of June. I'm in TX and they shoot up in the heat here. I was told here near Dallas to waiting until Mother's Day to plant caladiums.

They love warm~~~~~ soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here