Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freeze burned narcissus

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 14:53

My Grand Primos came up right on schedule in December, but then that hard freeze came. They are, admittedly, borderline hardy here, but we never got below 11 degrees here. The foliage is bleached white on the top several inches, and worse, it doesn't seem to be growing much, if any. It's way past time for them to have bloomed. Short of digging them up, anyone know how to tell if they are dead?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freeze burned narcissus

Even if the tops have been freeze-killed, the bulbs are probably fine.

I'd leave them & see what happens.

Best luck!

o

Thank you! I was just outside this morning (oh joy! 60 degrees today!) and I can actually see a couple of bloom buds beginning to emerge. Better late than never!

I am so relieved because these are nearly the rarest bulbs I have and I don't want to lose them.

o

They are, admittedly, borderline hardy here

For such borderline things you might consider thinking about whether or not you might have some microclimates on your property.

I know here my microclimates might be wherever the snow melts off first. I had a little patio dahlia return for several years that was in a bed next to the south facing side of my brown brick house. I finally shovel pruned it though as I had never cared for it.

In your zone/area, your microclimate might be where frost is less likely to form.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here