Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
saving tulip bulbs

Posted by wryorwhite (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 14, 10 at 15:28

I received potted red with blue tulips and would like to save them.

Here's what I've done so far. I let them bloom and watered the tulips once per week since I received it 3 weeks ago. I live in apartment and have no place to plant them other than the pots in which they were initially planted or another pot purchased for such purpose.

What should I do? Put the pots in a closet? Remove the bulbs and put them in my crisper (far from apples which I know neuter them)? Leave the pots out and water it periodically. Sorry to be dim but I've never tried to save them before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: saving tulip bulbs

I'm not sure I'd bother to go the trouble ;-)

Tulips tend not to return well under the best of conditions and as yours were forced to bloom early, they are already starting off at a disadvantage. And since you can only plant in containers and don't really have a satisfactory place to store, I'd just toss them. Or give to a friend who has a dirt garden (no guarantee they will reappear even there). Treat yourself to a new potted display next year.

o

New tulip bulbs that will bloom are sold everywhere from 25 to 30 cents each. I saved tulip bulbs from the garden and chilled them for next year for several years. Only about 30% bloomed again and they were weaker and shorter. All the washing,drying,separating and storing were just not worth the time spent. Now I just close my eyes and throw them into the shredder and into the compost. Al

o

Hi wryorwhite,

Welcome to the Bulb Forum. Knowing where you are located would help in knowing if it is even advisable to give them to someone who can plant them out in the ground and see if they will possibly bloom some in later years.

To set up your zone and location, just go to the Member Pages link found in the green banner at the bottom of any page and then click on Edit Your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences. You can then place your zone (if known) and your location in the one box provided for the garden zone. See I am zone 5/6 S INDIANA By setting up your zone/location, it will be shown on your Member Page and will automatically be shown whenever you post.

HERE is a Zone Finder

hth.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here