Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monet's garden - please help id tulips?

Posted by vettin z6b Northern VA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 15:36

Can you name these tulips please? Also, what are the blue flowers interspersed between them?

It is the first photo on the giverny link.

Many thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Monet's garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monet's garden - please help id tulips?

Pretty hard to give a specific ID just based on the photo but one can make suggestions for tulips of similar coloring.

The ones in the back look like 'Pink Impression'. In the foreground, the lighter purple tulips could be any of a dozen or more different varieties - 'Purple Lady', 'Purple Rain', 'Singapore', 'Othello', 'Passionale', etc. The darker purple variety could be 'Negrita' or 'Queen of the Night'.

And it's almost impossible to discern what the blue flowers are......much too small a photo to work from. Need a close up!! But you could get the same effect by interplanting with muscari or blue hyacinths. But they look more like blue flowered pansies to me.

o
RE: Monet's garden - please help id tulips?

The blue flowers appear to be pansies. I have seen them in other photos of the Clos Normand. As gardengal48 says there are several different tulips in the picture and it is the blending of the colours which is part of the magic of the gardens. I have checked several French sources for a list of the bulbs used and can only find general references to 'tulips', even on the Giverny official list of plants. The names gg gave would achieve a similar effect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here