Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I buy bulbs now for forcing indoors

Posted by happyday WI4a (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 19, 11 at 15:46

I want to buy bulbs, now, to force indoors, prechilled if they require it. Can anyone recommend a company that is selling prechilled bulbs for forcing that will ship right now?

Also, what bulbs require chilling and which do not? I usually force daffodils and hyacinths. I want flowers that are fragrant, that is the most important consideration.

Can anyone recommend a bulb that can be forced, is fragrant, and does not require prechilling?

Can anyone recommend a variety of miniature daffodil that is especially fragrant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I buy bulbs now for forcing indoors

You want them to bloom this season? Like in the next month or two?

There are no bulbs available now that will fit those requirements. They have been sold months ago. Or tossed out if not sold. It is too late to force them for this season. All spring flowering bulbs require a chilling period, whether it is in the ground under naturally cold conditions or refrigerated and potted for forcing. The exception would be paperwhite narcissus, but unless you find an unusual source that still has some left, these too will have all been sold. Most are forced into bloom for the holidays and are already sprouted at that time. They just don't keep well.

What you can find now are prestarted bulbs that are either already in the process of being forced - like tulips - or ready to be planted out into the ground for blooms at their normal time. Sometimes groceries will have them but all the local garden centers here are featuring them now. Might be a bit later in your zone. If you leave these indoors in warmth and bright light, they will bloom early. I've got a pot of prestarted hyacinths indoors ready to bloom any day.

o
RE: Where can I buy bulbs now for forcing indoors

Prestarted bulbs are bulbs that are sold planted in potting soil in a pot? I've seen those. Guess I may have to buy them instead of bare bulbs.

I did buy bulbs last fall but they didn't look good after the chilling period. I thought that some nurseries might have prechilled bulbs but guess they sold them all to the nurseries that prestart them.

Thanks for explaining.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here