Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overexcited Daffodils

Posted by littlelizzy123 5a CO (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 17:19

So my daffodils are daft enough to think that today, February 26th, is officially spring. My whole-leaf mulch blew off a few days ago, and I didn't notice. I put more mulch on, but they are already sprouting. Will temps below freezing kill them? I can't seem to keep the mulch down with the Chinook winds blowing through. We have been having major temp swings, sometimes more than 30-40 degrees. One day it was 70, the next it was 25. What do you think? Are they goners?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overexcited Daffodils

They will probably be ok. I have some old fashioned early daffs that come up so early every year & I always think they will get taken by the cold, but they make it fine. Daffs seem to know when to come up. Last year they got hit by snow & even some freezing rain & came through fine. They are up now several inches with buds. It has been in the teens the last couple of days with snow & similar temps predicted for the next week. So far they look fine.

o

Thanks! That makes me feel a little better. :)

o

Same here. This year we haven't had that problem because we've had a consistent snow cover and just about constant cold. I still have about a foot of snow on the ground. But we have had winters and springs where the bulbs start showing foliage and then we get cold and snow and they seem to do fine. They stall in coming up if it's too cold, and they've gone on to bloom fine. Some years, maybe the very tips of the foliage get a little yellow or brownish, but nothing noticeable unless you are up close.

o

I get more concerned if they're *not* poking up by January or so. Even in our coldest fall/early winters, our established daffs start poking in December, just a half-inch or so, but usually stand still until March. I regard it as normal that they do such. Even when I lived in Ohio they poked the surface by Jan/Feb.

The only exception is newly planted bulbs, which I believe need more time to put out roots before top growth starts. The ones already in-ground probably more or less maintain rootsystems all year and grow sooner.

o

They should be fine. This year mine are all still frozen solid, but last year a mild fall had them sprouting way too early. Then winter hit, temps in the low teens blasted the sprouts and I took this picture. I figured the dead browning sprouts were goners, and then forgot all about it until April when they bloomed just fine!
In my experience only really early ones such as Rijnvelds Early Sensation will get damaged (since the blooms sprout so early) and not-quite-as-hardy fall sprouters like Erlicheer may die if frozen while in growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here