Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooming now/Some pics of spring.

Posted by jon_z6b (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 17:39

First daffodil blooms.
Photobucket

I hybridized my daffodils three years ago- these are the seedlings from that. I'm hoping for first blooms in a couple of years.
Photobucket

Two year old lily seedlings are showing their heads.
Photobucket

winter honeysuckle- such a fine fragrance!
Photobucket

helleborus
Photobucket

last but not least, an iris- possibly one collected/native.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooming now/Some pics of spring.

• Posted by izhar Karachi Pakistan (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 23:43

nice pictures... thanks for sharing..

o

What a terrific intense blue on that iris!

And good luck with your seedlings. Hope some, at least, oblige with early flowering (five years rather than six or so).

o

Interesting. It looks as if your season is amost exactly in synch with mine at the moment despite the apparent difference in Zone.

o

• Posted by ivysmom 8b/9a - Houston (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 10:50

My first-ever run with bulbs is now producing :) Several tulips are up and one opened overnight:
(link below if image won't load).

Odd thing is that a bunch of daffodils in the same flowerbed, planted the same time, with the same treatment (and planted 2" shallower than the tulips) haven't broken the surface yet. Not sure what's going on with that, but at least the tulips are here :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My first tulip bloom

o

Lovely pictures. Could I possibly beg you to post a picture of the whole winter honeysuckle bush? I would love to see the form of it. I read about it every year, but to my knowledge have never seen it.

o

Sure, would love to. I was assured when I bought the place that it was a weed and needed to be cut down. They are naturalized to the area and show up in roadside hedgerows all over the place. Anyway it came up in a crape myrtle. Both have seemed content with the relationship and I like how one fills in the other with evergreen foliage and also I have two seasons of bloom.

When it blooms is when the foliage is most sparse- ie right now (not completely deciduous though).
Photobucket

Photobucket

...in summer.
Photobucket

o

Just a few more!

Photobucket

Photobucket

star magnolia
Photobucket

daphne odera- another smell good
Photobucket

o

Lovely shots...just a clarification, Iris reticulata is native to the Caucasus region of Europe, not the USA.

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi Pakistan (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 3, 11 at 1:47

Fabulous.... thanks for sharing..

Izhar

o

Ahh!! Is that what it is? I couldn't remember where I got it and I have several (other) species 'types' collected. I was put off from looking further by the number of species as well. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at hybridizing them but they have wildly different bloom times. Thanks for that btw.

Here is a link that might be useful: iris species

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here