Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mickey3_gw

How to care 4 my potted Tulips?!

mickey3
16 years ago

I just received these beautiful Tulips on Valentines Day and they came in a pot! This has happened to me before and they died and I want to keep them from dying this time before its too late! They bloomed beautifully and I kept them in a pot and set them outside on my patio table but the wind blew off all the pretty petals and now I just have stems! What do I need to do to get them to bloom again? Should I take them out of the pot? Should I cut them yet? HELP PLEASE!!

Comments (9)

• ladychroe
    16 years ago

LOL! First, have a quick dose of your sedative of choice. Then on to your tulips.

Tulips that have been forced to grow in a pot are usually exhausted from the effort and will not bloom next year, even if you plant them in the garden. Most people just chuck them when they're done blooming.

I believe Zone 8 is too warm to grow tulips unless you chill them first. They need to to through a cold period to bloom. If you want to have tulips either in pots or the ground next spring, do a search for "forcing tulips" or check out the thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forcing tulips in warm climates

• Donna
    16 years ago

Ladychroe is exactly right. Tulips are treated as annuals in the deep south. In other words, they come up, they make leaves, they bloom, they die. End of story. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is. Keep your tulips inside in a relatively cool room with bright light, keep them watered once or twice a week and enjoy them for as long as you can. Then toss them.

• rjinga
    16 years ago

I have had tulips rebloom for 2 years running....(this 3rd year will be the test, I've got folliage about 4 inches tall so far....we shall see if I get any flowers :) they ARE NOT of course potted tulips...they are planted in the ground, but I am indeed in the south...smack in the middle of the state of GA.

Of course the the process described above is 100% correct, but I have always figured, what's the worse that could happen..I plant them and they dont come back...I'll forgett hey were there and plant something in their place.....OR they come back...and I'm pleasantly surprised to see them again.....

• bgamm_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Was given to me and I want to know the care to have them come up again. They are potted, should I plant them out of doors?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Did you read any of the above? Potted forced tulips are generally not good candidates for reappearing and/or reblooming in following years. Bulbs are cheap - if you want tulips for next spring, it will be a whole lot easier just to buy fresh ones in fall and plant them according the best practices for your area.

FWIW, zone 8 is not necessarily a barrier against planting un-prechilled tulip bulbs. I live in a zone 8 climate and in an area that has the largest commercial tulip growing fields outside of Holland.....not to mention that virtually every garden has a patch of tulips in spring. And they require NO prechilling. All one needs is winter temperatures that are maintained no higher than around 45-50F for a period of at least 8 weeks.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

mandolls - that would also work in my climate, in fact I'd skip the drying and just plant them 'in the green' out in the garden. However, the OP is in Texas and the consensus appears to be that they will not flower again in that zone.

• Charlotte Dennis
    6 years ago

I got tulips in a jar for my birthday they bloomed but the stems and the tulips died the bulbs are good can I plant them outside in the spring?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

^^ Yes :-) But you may want to review this thread to see if they are inclined to rebloom for you in your area.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm