Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to care 4 my potted Tulips?!

Posted by mickey3 z8 TX (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 08 at 18:41

I just received these beautiful Tulips on Valentines Day and they came in a pot! This has happened to me before and they died and I want to keep them from dying this time before its too late! They bloomed beautifully and I kept them in a pot and set them outside on my patio table but the wind blew off all the pretty petals and now I just have stems! What do I need to do to get them to bloom again? Should I take them out of the pot? Should I cut them yet? HELP PLEASE!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to care 4 my potted Tulips?!

LOL! First, have a quick dose of your sedative of choice. Then on to your tulips.

Tulips that have been forced to grow in a pot are usually exhausted from the effort and will not bloom next year, even if you plant them in the garden. Most people just chuck them when they're done blooming.

I believe Zone 8 is too warm to grow tulips unless you chill them first. They need to to through a cold period to bloom. If you want to have tulips either in pots or the ground next spring, do a search for "forcing tulips" or check out the thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forcing tulips in warm climates

o

Ladychroe is exactly right. Tulips are treated as annuals in the deep south. In other words, they come up, they make leaves, they bloom, they die. End of story. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is. Keep your tulips inside in a relatively cool room with bright light, keep them watered once or twice a week and enjoy them for as long as you can. Then toss them.

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 28, 08 at 8:19

I have had tulips rebloom for 2 years running....(this 3rd year will be the test, I've got folliage about 4 inches tall so far....we shall see if I get any flowers :) they ARE NOT of course potted tulips...they are planted in the ground, but I am indeed in the south...smack in the middle of the state of GA.

Of course the the process described above is 100% correct, but I have always figured, what's the worse that could happen..I plant them and they dont come back...I'll forgett hey were there and plant something in their place.....OR they come back...and I'm pleasantly surprised to see them again.....

o

Was given to me and I want to know the care to have them come up again. They are potted, should I plant them out of doors?

o

Did you read any of the above? Potted forced tulips are generally not good candidates for reappearing and/or reblooming in following years. Bulbs are cheap - if you want tulips for next spring, it will be a whole lot easier just to buy fresh ones in fall and plant them according the best practices for your area.

FWIW, zone 8 is not necessarily a barrier against planting un-prechilled tulip bulbs. I live in a zone 8 climate and in an area that has the largest commercial tulip growing fields outside of Holland.....not to mention that virtually every garden has a patch of tulips in spring. And they require NO prechilling. All one needs is winter temperatures that are maintained no higher than around 45-50F for a period of at least 8 weeks.

o

I received some potted tulips last spring. After they bloomed I put the pot outside so that the leaves could soak up as much sun as possible. Late summer when they were spent, I pulled them out and threw them in a brown paper bag and put them in the garage until fall when I moved them to the same place I store my dahlia tubers in for the winter (cold but not freezing). Last week I checked them and most were beginning to sprout. I planted them up in pots with a little bone meal and am now waiting to see if they will bloom.

From what I read here I may just get leaves - but It didn't take much time or energy and gave me a few minutes of pretending spring was around the corner.

o

mandolls - that would also work in my climate, in fact I'd skip the drying and just plant them 'in the green' out in the garden. However, the OP is in Texas and the consensus appears to be that they will not flower again in that zone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here