Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Cold hardy caladium - zone6a

Posted by kris2001 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 20, 09 at 18:59

Is there a Caladium that for sure is hardy in z6 here in s.e.PA? If so which one? If so is there a mix too?

Pls suggest where to get one?
I dont wanna store the tubers in winter...just love for it to come again and again !
Tks--Kris in s.e.PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Cold hardy caladium - zone6a

No, not available. They're a sub-tropical plant. Digging and storing are not hard. Dig before frost, let them dry on some newspaper or cardboard for a few days, clean off direct, put in a shoebox in the basement, +/- 65 degrees.

o

There is a plant that I grow called Arum italicum pictum. It's dark green with white veins and evergreen. It looks tropical. I grow it in zone 6 without it being aggresive. I've heard others complain about that.

It likes shade like the caladium. It's one of my favorite plants.

Mickie

Here is a link that might be useful: Arum italicum pictum

o

I grow Arum too, but they come up in the fall, stand all winter, bloom in the spring and then go dormant until fall when you see their seed stalks. Great plant, but not a great substitute for caladiums.

I am not certain that it is winter hardy, but Calla bulbs might be a suitable substitute for caladiums in your area and would enjoy similar growing conditions. The white calla called "Crowborough" is supposed to be the most winter hardy type. I saw it offered by Arrowhead Alpines.

You have only two choices: pick another plant or dig your caladium bulbs each year (#3 buy new caladium bulbs each year) :)

o

Yes, in zone 6 they come up in September and die down in the heat of summer. It's a good trade for me, because so much more is growing when they aren't and vice-versa.

Here they bloom in May or June. The seed spathe is present in August and September.

Glad you pointed that out, DB. I didn't even think about it. My brain is frozen - 2 more inches of snow today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here