Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you identify this flower?

Posted by tigrrrl So. California (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 1, 09 at 18:59

I moved to a new home last summer and have been discovering all sorts of new flower and tree varieties as the seasons change. I grew up in Southern California, but I have never seen this flower before (or noticed it anyway). My mother also has it growing at her home on the central coast, but she doesn't know the name either. As you can see, the hummingbirds LOVE it...can anybody tell me the name?

Thank you!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you identify this flower?

Here's another one. It looks like Lily of the Valley, but has green circles on the petals and does not flare out as much as the photos I've seen. Is it another variety of bulb altogether?? Can anyone recommend a good photo reference book for bulb, corms, etc.? or even a website? Thanks!

Photobucket

o

The first looks like Montbretia. The second Leucojum. Both multiply well.

o

Got it! Thank you. Both of those are spot on! Now do you know what variety it is? It seems too orange to be "Lucifer".

Crocosmia

o

It will probably be difficult to pinpoint the exact species and/or cultivar, because many of those look alike.
It is most likely one of the following 2 species, that are often available from local and mailorder sources:
C. masoniorum
C. x crocosmiiflora
Here's a link to PBS Wiki that shows the 2, plus 'Lucifer'
Crocosmia
Click on CROCOSMIA /upper left/ to display photos.

Another website that has many photos of Crocosmia...

Crocosmia species and Cultivars
Select Crocosmia photos or Crocosmia photos2 from the menu on the panel at the left, to view thumbnails. Click on the thumbnail for a larger photo and the name of the plant.
Rb

o

Tiger,

I was in San Diego a week or so back and saw a sample of the Leucojum outside a house a few doors down from the Museum of Contemporary Art in Le Jolla. I was surprised to see it there. I live in SC and it is one of my favorite spring bulbs. I believe it is Gravette Giant. I may be a few letters off on the spelling. As for a reference book, I like Scott Ogden's "Garden Bulbs of the South" but I would like to find a companion book with more photos. You can also check some of the bulb websites like oldhousegardens.com and southernbulbs.com they usually have photos.

I brought home a piece of an interesting succulent that spread out like a ground cover with an orange bloom. I'm testing it in my climate.

~Scott~

o

I lost the email from whoever it was that asked me to share my San Diego souvenir. Contact me in aobut 6 months and let's see how it does here. Not enough to share at this time but maybe it will flourish.

~Scott~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here