Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Traveling Daffodils?

Posted by heckabore Zone9/Sunset15 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 19:05

I planted daffodil bulbs about 6 or 7 years ago. Every spring, I find daffodils far from where I planted the bulbs. Is it possible that squirrels dug them up, didn't want to eat them, and then reburied them elsewhere? It seems odd to me, but maybe it's nature's way of compensating me for all the plants that the deer and gophers have eaten.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Traveling Daffodils?

In your "almost perfect" growing zone, they've probably started from seed - it does take a few years to bloom - but as you've had bulbs for 6 or 7 years, you could easily have seed started bulbs blooming in remote places.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog Daffodil photos

o

It would be my guess that they have been replanted, probably by critters, though they may have started from dropped seed, or even both.

If you have planted other things in that bed over the years, namely annuals, chances are that you disturbed the clump and some bulbs got disturbed/moved or replanted to another spot.

Animals could have dug them up, and though they may not have actually buried the bulbs, if the bulb's basal plate was in contact with the soil, it could have planted itself, though it would have been quite shallow.

Were the bulbs you planted all one cultivar, or were they a 'mix'? If they were all one cultivar, do the ones blooming in the new spots look pretty well exactly like the ones you originally planted? Different? Very Different?

Lovely blog pics faerygardener. Thanks for sharing.

Sue

o

Wow! Fabulous photos, faerygardener.

The daffodils I planted are February Gold and all the new one look the same as the ones I planted. I have disturbed the soil in some places over the years, but haven't planted any annuals. I'm thinking of just leaving all the daffodils where they are and as they multiply (at least, I hope they will multiply) they will look very natural.

o

Yes they start almost anywhere in my garden. All of mine are King Alfred, from an original purchase 30 years ago. This year I have one coming up in the middle of a peony root three feed in diameter that could only have been started from a seed. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here