Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home care for tulips

Posted by mona_gardener (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 19:49

My boyfriend just bought me a potted tulip plant and I have no idea how to care for it. However I have no yard to plant it so I know it wont last as long as I'd like it to. What can I do to get the most use out of it? Also I can only keep it outdoors during the day because stray cats get into everything during the night. Can I move it indoors at night? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home care for tulips

Yes you can move it in at night. When your plant is through blooming it really is not worth trying to keep it, unless for sentimental reasons. To keep it for next year you would need to let it go dormant in the pot and then store the pot until about September when you would need to chill it for at least 6 weeks at a temperature just above freezing. Now bring it back into the room temperatures and in about another 6 weeks it will grow and bloom. I doubt your boyfriend would expect you to do this on the chance it will bloom again next year. Let him buy you another one next year so you can show him your appreciation. Al

o

I bought my wife a potted tulip plant and was wondering if the bulbs could be removed from the pot now and replanted outside in the ground at a later time. If so, what is the procedure.

o

Fih69 you should let all the foliage die back, turn yellow and dry out. keep it water until then, and then you can take it out and plant them in the fall. it make take a year or 2 to flower because Tulips and spring flowers you get this time of year have been "forced" so they need to build up strength hope this helps.

o

flt69 answering your posts would be more appropriate if your name included your zone. Al

o

calistoga,
Sorry, I am in Maryland.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here