Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help with My Tulips

Posted by sam.day WA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 24, 10 at 20:04

I have 2 pots of Tulips that i recently bought, They were already in bloom, But now the flowers are dead and the leaves are turning yellow, What do i do? can i clip them down to the bulb? if so what do i do after that? I know nothing about tulips so anything will help thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help with My Tulips

Stop watering them and wait till the leaves turn brown.

Then snip off the leaves, take the bulbs out of the soil and store in a dry cool place and then plant them in the fall.

I have also forgot about bulbs that I had in pots this time of year and I just planted the soil and bulbs in the garden in Spring. I did bury them deeper than the soil they came in, 6" deep. They came back the next year. The most important thing is to keep them dry, they will rot if kept moist.

I hope that helps.

Happy Gardening

Keriann~

o

I'd just go ahead and plant them now - the bulbs need to be 6-8" deep. Better in the ground than trying to store properly and remember to replant in fall. Leave the leaves alone to dry fully on their own before removing. And try to place them somewhere in full sun that will not receive a lot of summer irrigation - bulbs prefer to be kept on the dry side in summer.

Don't expect a lot from them next spring. Forced bulbs (tulips in bloom now have been forced) sometimes produce mixed results the following season and most tulips are not real good at returning well anyway. But you may get blooms :-)

o

...yes, better to plant them out now. While it's good advice to dry and store till fall, you may not want to invest that much effort into them. Plant them now and see what you get next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here