Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mid-February - Too late to plant daffs/tulips

Posted by mistynikula WA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 12, 10 at 20:15

We got a bunch of bulbs from my mother-in-law last fall and have not gotten around to planting them... we've been experiencing exceptionally warm weather and many other bulbs (crocuses and daffs) are starting to come up and bloom. What would be the best thing for us to do with our bulbs? Plant them now, even if they don't bloom this year. Or store them until Fall? We have several dozen and could get them in the ground within a few days if needed.
Thanks!
Misty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mid-February - Too late to plant daffs/tulips

Plant them now and hope for the best. If not planted, next fall they will be very weak and not likely to survive. Planting them now will allow them to rebuild their energy for next year even if they do not bloom. You do not indicate your zone and your location may not be cold enough for your tulips to be chilled. If that is the case you could dig them after the foliage dies down and refrigerate until about December when they can be replanted. Al

o

Al, the OP lives in WA state and there is no need to prechill spring flowering bulbs here before planting :-) But I do agree to plant them now - they will be far happier in the ground than in any kind of storage. They should produce foliage, albeit late, but that should be sufficient for them to photosynthesize and re-energize the bulbs.

o

I think they should be fine to plant now, as long as the ground isn't frozen. You will certainly get your share of cold temps before the spring.

I forgot about some daffodil bulbs 2 years ago and found them in February. I planted them on one of our warmer days and they came up and bloomed perfectly that spring. I"m in central Maryland.

o

Ahhh......daffodils are blooming here NOW :-) Planting them at this time of year in the PNW will not result in flowering this season but the OP should see flowers from the bulbs next year.

And in much of the PNW soils never freeze. Or no more than an inch or two in very cold weather but we've managed to avoid nearly any of that this season and no predictions for any more cold. We are running about 10 degrees above normal and have been since early December. We haven't even had any significant frost for several months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here