Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New tulips staying short with buds !

Posted by prettypetals GA 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 20:17

All of my tulips planted last fall are staying short and coming up with the bud about to bloom. None of them are getting very tall, foliage or bloom stem. I'm talking 2 or 3 inches tall. Thats it!!! Could it be because of our extremely warm winter? I was thinking since they were new they would have all the energy built up to make them bloom normal but none of them are. Thanks for your help, Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New tulips staying short with buds !

• Posted by ocbrian z9/sunset 22/orange (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 21:10

Hi Judy,

I believe it is because of the winter being very warm this year. I live in southern California and I have to chill my tulip bulbs every year to get them to bloom normal. The ones that I forget to dig up, come back the following year just as you described since I don't get as much winter chill that tulips need.

Brian

o

You know my tulips I had from last yr are coming up sporatically but are getting tall. So since these were new I figured they had the energy stored in them from the grower and they would bloom fine even if we didn't have a cold winter. So I guess that not true, right? So frustrating!! Judy

o

Yes Judy, it is frustrating. Your climate is right on the edge where some may grow normally. The only to have consistent results is to pre-chill. Al

o

Thanks Brian and Al! Hopefully next yr will be colder and I will have a better spring display. Take care, Judy

o

I chilled mine this year for 8 weeks in the fridge and they are still short: Darwins only about 1 foot high...don't know if it's the warm winter or if I got mis-labelled bulbs. They are the right color though, so I tend to think it's the extraordinarily warm January-February we've had.

o

Having a similar problem here in Zone 7 of Central VA with Daffodils. The new bulbs I planted last fall are 3" or so tall and some with buds of about the same height. They should be seven/eight inches tall at least. I DO think it has to do with the warm winter . . . for tulips OR daffs.

Here in ole Virginie we've had temps going down and then going back up again. Seesawing. Previous winters/springs were more even and my daffodils produced foliage and buds normally. I think that confuses the bulb foliage/bud production. Ah well. There's always next year.

o

Finally most of mine have gotten some height on them. I was so worried I wasn't going to have any at all blooming then all of a sudden they all started popping outta the ground and rising tall. They look beautimous!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here