Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unplanted bulbs

Posted by mejohnst none (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 20:32

I have some daffodil bulbs bought for fall '10 planting, but I didn't have anywhere to plant them. They stayed indoors until fall '11, when I planted a few and then left the rest outside. If I bring the unplanted ones back inside, will they start to sprout? Anything I can do to make them sprout? I'm feeling impatient.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unplanted bulbs

It is highly unlikely that any bulbs that have been out of the ground for two years are still viable. If you can find them and they are viable, they would be sprouting by now. Otherwise, leave them where they are for compost. The ones you planted last year are your best hope for anything from that batch. Bulbs are living things. And although they will survive outside the ground under the right conditions for a good while, two years is way outside the realm.

o
RE: Unplanted bulbs

If I bring the unplanted ones back inside, will they start to sprout?
I second what Donna said above about it being unlikely that they would still be viable.

Just to make sure, you could squeeze them, to see if they were totally dried out, or else gone to just 'mush, in the center. If there appears to be any firmness left, I'd suggest cutting a few open, cutting from the top of the bulb, down through the bottom, basal plate.

Chances are you will find that they are just no longer any good. Please let us know what you find.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here