Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uggh... Bulbs and what I think may be too much bark

Posted by sydneye 7b- Western WA State (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 5, 11 at 20:36

So, I had posted a message about 3 weeks ago regarding I planted about 100 bulbs back in October with everything ranging from Darwin hybrid tulips, to narcissus thalia and narcissus trumpet, fritillaria meleagris, Allium and Scilla Siberica. I had been concerned about them emerging early, but, now I'm worried that they wont make it through the bark that was just put down today. Our neighbor had excess bark and offered to have the rest "blown" into our yard... Not only has that ended up to be an enormous mess, but, I am noticing that a lot of my plants got completely covered, so, spent about an hour before it got too dark to work trying to uncovered the poor things. In some places, it looks like there may be as much as 3 inches of bark blown in. Should I be concerned about the depth of the bark and the bulbs that I placed? Do I need to see about removing some of the bark?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uggh... Bulbs and what I think may be too much bark

Most bark will NOT compact and be a problem for bulbs to grow through. Al

o

They'll come right up through the bark.

o

Yep. I didn't get my mulch in last fall until alot of my bulbs were an inch or more out of the ground. I covered them with several inches of pinestraw. It took several weeks, but they all came on up through it.

o

Thank you, I am feeling a lot better now... Luckily, I don't think all the bulbs were planted *quite* as deep as they should have been, I was just concerned to see so much bark standing on top of all my hard work!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here