Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rolacoy

Will my Caladiums come back this year?

rolacoy
13 years ago

Last spring I planted a lot of Caladiums. I forgot how many, at least 10 of the bags from Home Depot. I think that I read that in the South that they come back each year, but the further North you go the less chance that they will come up a second year. I live on I-20 just west of Shreveport, LA. I dug up 3 of the bulbs today. They seemed solid, but I mashed one just a little and some yellow stuff came out. So I cut one in half and it was kinda firm, but had some of the yellow stuff. We had a colder than normal Winter so I don't know if the will survive.

Comments (3)

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Was that yellow stuff stinky? Caladium tubers become soft and mushy when rotting, if they are firm then you may have a chance..

• rolacoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The part that came out was sticky, but most of them was firm. I guess a potato with a rotten spot is a good example.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

Most sites (I think) say caladiums are only hardy to zone 10, though a few said zone 9.

My 'guess' is that maybe a few of them 'might' make it, particularly if they were planted in sort of a protected area, or microclimate, or had a lot of mulch. How's that for a wishy washy reply?

I'd be interested to hear later if any survived, though even in your zone, it would be a while until the soil was warmed enough for them to break dormancy and actually start growing.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Approximate planting times per zone once the soil has warmed.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs