Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
early blooming tulips

Posted by petunia02 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 23:06

I received a pot of tulips for Valentine's Day. They have bloomed and are now fading away. It is still cold here in zone 7 (20-40). My question is this--when can I put these tulips in the ground. I know they won't bloom again--I just want them to survive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: early blooming tulips

A possible option is to plant them on into a larger pot.

When you look at the bottom of the pot they're in - are the roots sneaking out through the holes? If 'yes', try for a pot that is about three to four inches deeper and plant them on. Do your best to leave the bulb bunch undisturbed but don't worry if it does 'come from together'.

If the leaves are still green then water them in. If they're not - use a damp potting mix only. Keep them in good light and out of the frost as they've been used to a cosier life for a while now.

Make sure your pot is labelled with the usual info so you don't end up in autumn 'wondering'...

Unless you have ferociously hot summers then you can leave the bulbs in the pot but keep it in a shaded place. The mix provides quite a bit of insulation for the bulbs and protects from dehydration.

If you know that things in pots frizzle in your type of summer - ignore that and shake out the bulbs when the leaves have died off. Keep them in a net sack, out of reach of mousies, in a cool and shaded place. Plant out later than for daffodils, usually.

If you know you need to fridge first - put a big note to yourself ahead on your calendar to remind you.

o

vetivert8, Thank you so much for the info. Looks like they will "summer over" in a larger pot in the shade. Thanks again!

o

It is always better for the bulbs to be in the ground rather than attempting to store them. Plant them outside as soon as your soil is workable (not frozen or overly wet). Until then, keep them intact and just barely moistened. Don't cut off any foliage but you can (should) remove the old flower stems. Zone 7 should not require any prechilling.

Here is a link that might be useful: read this - same question

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here