Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Start cannas now???

Posted by scully931 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 0:00

I bought cannas and elephant ear bulbs for the first time this year. (Starting a new tropical garden.) Am I supposed to start these indoors?

If so, do they all need their own big pot since they won't be in there long or can I have them share? I usually start putting stuff in the ground mid-April. (Then end up covering everything at least once. :-/ )

Thanks for any advice on this! I'm so exciting to do this new garden!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Start cannas now???

If you want to start them now they should be inside. It would be better to start each in his own pot as less root disturbance would result when planted in the garden. If these are started before the soil warms, with no roots, they will be subject to rot. Al

o

Yes, I would definately start them inside. Is this the norm? Do most of you start your cannas and elephant ears inside or just stick them in the ground when it is warm enough? I'm curious mostly for those around my zone. (6) Thanks!

o

A friend and neighbor yearly plants her cannas and elephant ears. She never pots they up before setting them out in the garden, but instead waits until about the time of the last expected frost date which is May 10th here in southern IN.

Where are you located? It isn't in your profile. You can put your state abbreviation or something similar in the one box provided for the garden zone....as I am in zone 5/6 S IN

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here