Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When remove wire mesh over bulbs?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 0:01

I planted some squirrel favorites last fall, crocus and some minor bulbs. Following suggestions here, I put down wire hardware cloth over each section and pinned it down with landscape staples. Its half inch mesh. I think it worked, there was no digging up of bulbs there.

When do I remove it? A few things are sprouting but are only about half an inch high.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When remove wire mesh over bulbs?

The minor bulbs you mentioned should come up right through the 1/2" mesh if you left it in place but it would be in the way if you plan on planting annuals or anything else in that spot.

Don't know if squirrels would be interested in bulbs at this point since ground isn't freshly dug. Can't predict their behavior anytime but that's one thought.

I've had to raise the mesh over my tulips & daffs because the foliage was just too big to get through. Started spraying foliage with repellant because it's already had some early growth eaten but that wasn't little squirrels.

I think wire mesh is mostly to keep them from digging up newly planted bulbs...from what I've read here on forum.

That said, last month I did have a squirrel dig up a hyacinth bulb from a container on the deck and sit there munching on it. I could see him through the sliding glass door and tried to shoo him away. He went and took his bulb prize with him...LOL.

o

All the areas covered now with mesh are in the fronts of the beds and will be planted later with annuals. In the spring its usually rabbits I have to worry about and obviously the mesh cant help me with that. It was mostly crocus and chionodoxa planted under the mesh. Some oreophilum alliums but no one eats those. Somethings popping up but its not crocus. The mesh was an experiment: I have never been able to grow crocus, even using repellents.

I was not sure if squirrels still did any digging in the spring. I saw a few chipmunks last year too, never had those before in this part of suburbia. I dont know what they do or eat like I know (all too well) with squirrels and rabbits.

I planted a lot of hyacinths, the large cultivars, last year. I did not use mesh for those. (I did not think squirrels liked those?) I found 3 bulbs yesterday laying on top of the ground, all soft and shriveled. Im not sure if I can blame the squirrels or if it was just me. I had laid them out on the bed arranging color patterns, maybe I did not plant that cluster but thought I had. I did a lot of planting at dusk last fall. Darn.

o

I use the 1 inch mesh, and I don't remove it after it's put down. Pretty much anything will grow up thru it, but it's you're using 1/2", then remove it when you see fit; i.e. when you first see growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here