Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions needed for daffodil variety

Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 21, 09 at 0:15

I'll be ordering more daffodils this fall from Colorblends.

I'm looking for a yellow variety to plant in a small strip alongside my driveway, in combination with blue muscari, and also next to my red Japanese pygmy barberries. I'm assuming the taller varieties will look the best???

I don't know if they all naturalize at the same rate, or if some are better than others, or if it's all relative.

Are there any opinions on a variety that looks the best with blue muscari?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions needed for daffodil variety

I don't know if they all naturalize at the same rate, or if some are better than others,
Some varieties are a lot more prolific than others...meaning the bulb and blooms will multiply a lot faster than others.

I'm looking for a yellow variety to plant in a small strip alongside my driveway, in combination with blue muscari, and also next to my red Japanese pygmy barberries.
The main concern I would have would be one that would be in bloom at the same time as the muscari and possibly the barberry. I have some daffs in bloom now, but am not seeing signs yet of the bloom stalks on the muscari.

I'm guessing you would need a mid season variety.

Once you come up with some possibilities from Colorblends or elsewhere, you could do an inquiry on the name at the link below to see what their bloom season is.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffseek

o
RE: Suggestions needed for daffodil variety

• Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 21, 09 at 16:57

See, that's exactly why I love this forum!

I didn't even think of that - LOL. I'm so used to seeing pics of muscari and daffs in bloom at the same time, not thinking it through enough to realize that I need to find varieties that bloom at the same time. Add that to my list of silly gardeners mistakes and 'what was I thinking?' (or not thinking, for that matter)

Thanks for the website. I'll do some more research.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here