Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will weed killer kill my daylilies and daffodils?

Posted by bigshoes213 7 Sardis, Ms (bigshoes213@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 0:27

I know insecticide is bad but I have a very large yard and it is all henbit and some clover but mostly henbit. Their is hardly any grass.

My question is will the post emergence weed killer harm these bulbs?

Thanks for any advice.

Christina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will weed killer kill my daylilies and daffodils?

Insecticides do not generally affect plants as they are intended to kill insects. Herbicides are made to kill plants, most by being absorbed into plant tissue and trans-located into the roots. Both insecticides and herbicides are considered Pesticides. If your plants have foliage they can be killed by herbicides. If your bulbs have not yet grown foliage most herbicides formulated for post emergence use will not harm them. Al

o

I have no clue what I was thinking last night I meant Herbicide not insecticide. On the label it says it will not kill your grass but will kill weeds. So does this mean it will kill anything except grass? Thanks for answering so quickly.

Christina

o

So does this mean it will kill anything except grass?
Yes.

If you have daffs naturalized in your yard, you can always wait and battle the weeds after bloom time and the foliage has about totally died back. You would not want to cut the foliage back on those anyway in the yard.

I would weed around the clumps of DL and daffs if they are in beds, and then very carefully maybe spray the weeds.

Sue

o

Depending on where the bulbs are growing and how many you have, you can cover their foliage with something (cans, pop bottles, plastic bags...) before you spray. Wait until any and all spray drift is gone before you remove the covers.

Next year, if you want to use chemicals, I would highly recommend the use of pre-emergents in the fall. They are far better at killing the weeds at the moment of germination than post emergent sprays are at getting rid of weeds that have been growing all winter (not to mention the seeds that those happy weeds are making for next year's crop).

o

The herbicide you have is meant to kill "broad leaved weeds" in your lawn. The active ingredient enters the plant though the leaves. The directions call for the leaves to be wet so the herbicide will stick to the leaves. 2-4-D is the active ingredient and can damage a wide range of plants and so should be used ONLY as directed. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here