Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulip Bulbs in Garage

Posted by laagarden 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 12, 11 at 1:41

Hi,

My tulip bulbs have been in the garage in a wicker basket for the entire winter. So would that be the same as being in the fridge? I would think so. So is it time to plant them now outside and in pots so that they will come up in 8 weeks outdoors? Is this possible?

Thanks,
laagarden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulip Bulbs in Garage

As long as your bulbs are still firm and not dessicated go ahead and plant them now. Al

o

This may not help. I had them in basement in pots, they sprouted (in my opinion) way too early. So I threw them outside and left them there, even when temps dropped to 15 degrees. They are fine, but slowed down to be more "caught up" with in ground daffodils. I don't know sprouting till bloom time. Thankfully, they've stayed sprouted, but stilled, meaning not growing much higher. My goal is to have a more "on time" bloom...It's been about 3 weeks of more top growth, except for one. As I said, this may not help..

o

The question must still be asked. "Why were these bulbs not planted when they were supposed to, last fall.
You are asking "shold they be planted now?"....

Do the bulbs have a basal plate and have roots formed?
If so, go ahead, plant them...who knows, maybe Ma Nature will be fooled and they'll amount to something.

If not, throw them on the compost pile where in time they'll be of some good.
You cant plant spring flowering bulbs, meant to be planted in the fall so they can gain roots, in the spring.
You are 4 -5 months late.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here