Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forgot to plant Spring-flowering bulbs! Should I plant them now?

Posted by mishko_2006 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 4, 10 at 2:31

OK - never mind the mental implications!

I just found today commercial packets of anemone, tulip, hyacinth, muscari and daffodil bulbs, bought last summer. The last three all have small growth coming out of the ends, and the a couple of the daffs up to an inch of growth.

In my garden in Korea the resident daffs are all coming up; some early ones are about to open into flower. The hyacinths are also coming up, and the muscari are up, though they too are not yet flowering. We'll get another few nights of frost, but it's turning milder (up to 52deg F in the day).

Should I plant them quickly, keep them for next year or (sniff) throw them on the compost? Your advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forgot to plant Spring-flowering bulbs! Should I plant them n

Plant them now with gentle loving care. They will not hold over until fall for planting then. There may not be any blooms this year, but they should recover from the abuse and bloom for you next year.

You may want to soak the anemone before planting them. They are often planted in the spring (in colder areas anyway,) so they might bloom just fine for you this year.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Anemone Growing Instructions

o

Thanks very much, Sue. I planted them all today (I soaked the anemones first) - so they're in their element at last.
I'm hoping for the best later.

o

I didnt want to start a new thread with a similar topic, i am wondering what happens when you plant them now? Will they grow and bloom this year? Or just remain dormant til next spring? Are they going to bloom this fall? Just kidding! kinda. I stumbled upon a massive bulb clearance at walmart today, bags of 12 bulbs for 1dollar! So i bought 25 bags... dont worry, none were sqishy or anything!

o

They will produce foliage and maybe a few sad flowers, but next year they will be beautiful!

Keriann~

o

Thanks again keriann, i am so glad theyll still be good!

o

I also did not get around to planting my bulbs last fall due to sudden illness. How would putting them in large planters now work out?
thanks!

o

I also did not get around to planting my bulbs last fall due to sudden illness. How would putting them in large planters now work out?
What kind of bulbs are they? Growing bulbs in containers can be a lot trickier than just planting in the ground in well drained soil.

Hope you are feeling much better now.

Sue

o

WOW! I am so glad that I am not the only one! LOL! I bought some tulip bulbs last fall, and I was going to plant them in containers. However, I never got round to doing that. I left the bulbs in the unheated (but insulated) garage, which was in the mid 30's to low 40's during winter. About a month ago, I planted the bulbs in some containers, and now they are sprouting very well in the garage!

My questions are:

1. When will it be safe to take the containers outside? It can still go to low 30's here at night.

2. How likely are they going to bloom this year, given that the bulbs were chilled in the garage? I am quite surprised by how well they are sprouting!

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here