Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinths in little pots

Posted by marni37 France zone 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 4:19

I was given a present of these at Christmas. I have never had hyacinths before. How do I keep these until autumn for having once again at Christmas in house. Should I take bulbs out of pots, and store them in garage, or should I just put pots into garage. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinths in little pots

Unfortunately, hyacinths that have been forced tend to not return. I planted some indoor winter bloomers last year and only one has flowered this year, and that one only had about five florets.

o

If you have garden space, plant them in a sunny area with good drainage. I have some at least 10 years old. Their bloom isn't as showy as it was the first year so when I tried another color I put 2 per hole. Wouldn't plant them any other way now.

o

Thanks, veryzer, and iris gal, for your replies. Looks as if I will not be able to see them flowering in the house next Christmas. Will just plant them out in the garden in the autumn. Is it best to keep them in their little pots until then, or are they best lifted out and dried?

o

marni37 - I planted some out that were forced and the bloom wasn't that great the first year, but this year they put on a big show! I think they need a good chilling period to perform well which we had this winter.

You could always plant them out to do their thing and pick up some fresh ones for inside next Christmas. This way you have the bloom and fragrance and can add to your collection in the garden...a win win if you ask me. Good luck!

-Frank

o

Thanks Frank for your reply. It must have been great to see them put on a big show!! I will put them in garden, and also buy some others for Christmas. Marni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here